The University of Arizona’s School of Theatre, Film & Television presents the 16th edition of I DREAM IN WIDESCREEN (IDIWS), the annual showcase of undergraduate thesis films celebrating a wide range of new filmmaking voices graduating from the School’s nationally ranked Film & Television program.
The hybrid event will premiere concurrently in person and online: the in-person event will take place on Saturday, May 8, and IDIWS will stream online for a global audience from May 8-22. Both the in-person screening and the online streaming options are FREE to attend and watch.
The in-person edition of the School of Theatre, Film & Television’s marquee annual event will take place at the Cactus Drive-In Cinema on Saturday, May 8. Tucson’s Loft Cinema Program Director Jeff Yanc will host. From May 8-22, the films will also be available to stream online at loftcinema.org via a partnership between the School and the renowned arthouse cinema. Films will compete for prizes awarded by this year’s Jury: Mike Plante (’94), Senior Programmer for Short Film at the Sundance Film Festival, Nicholas Snell (’14), screenwriter and A/V coordinator for Lucasfilm, and film critic and journalist Katie Walsh (Los Angeles Times, IndieWire, Vanity Fair).
The IDIWS2021 line-up, including 14 films and one series pitch, is as follows:
Saturday, May 8, starting at 7:30pm MST
- ACCEPTANCE – Filmmaker: Elsa Ryder
- CRUSHING DANDELIONS – Filmmaker: Hannah Lee
- DROPOUTS: AN OVERCAST DOCUMENTARY – Filmmakers: Tyler McEvilly + Hasan Taleb
- EN LA CUNA DE MI MADRE – Filmmaker: Pablo Perez
- FALLACY – Filmmaker: Atlas Woods-Smith
- GHOSTS(?) – Filmmaker: Antonia Maher
- IN LOVING MEMORY – Filmmaker: Kirstyn Kubicki
- LUCID DREAMERS – Filmmaker: Matthew Potwardowski
- MIDNIGHT SNACK – Filmmaker: Marin Stewart
- ONE-WAY MIRROR – Filmmaker: Mackenzie Giguere
- SCRIPTURE AND SCHOLARSHIP – Filmmaker: Stephen Morand
- TEBANASU – Filmmaker: Atreyu Hasenstab
- THE LAST AXIOM (SERIES PITCH) – Writer: Zelio Pereira
- TREASURES BENEATH MY TREE – Filmmaker: Alexandra Cerna
- WHERE THE ROTTING LEMONS FALL – Filmmaker: Brandi Burleson
Hosted by: Jeff Yanc
I DREAM IN WIDESCREEN 2021 is sponsored by Craig Huston, Film Tucson, Monsoon Production Services, Adobe, Pollution Studios, Hanson FilmTV Institute, and The Loft Cinema. IDIWS2021 is free to attend and to watch online.