The 2021 edition of ‘I Dream in Widescreen,’ the School of Theatre, Film & Television annual showcase of senior thesis films was held at the Cactus Drive-In Theatre on May 8.
Every last spot at the drive-in was filled as students, cast, crew, faculty, friends, family, and community members gathered in cars, on rooftops, and in lawn chairs to watch stories of love, family dramas, a paranormal investigation, an intergalactic music video and more.
The panel of jurors of Mike Plante (’94), Senior Programmer for Short Film at the Sundance Film Festival, Nicholas Snell (’14), screenwriter and A/V coordinator for Lucasfilm, and film critic and journalist Katie Walsh (Los Angeles Times, IndieWire, Vanity Fair) selected the following awards.
- Film Tucson New Filmmaker Award: Hannah Lee for Crushing Dandelions
- Pollution Studios Award for Excellence in Screenwriting: Atlas Woods-Smith for Fallacy
- Monsoon Production Services Award for Excellence in Cinematography: Chance Roberts for Treasures Beneath My Tree
- Hanson FilmTV Institute Award for Excellence in Producing: Matthew Potwardowski for One-Way Mirror
- Hanson FilmTV Institute Award for Excellence in Production Design: Mackenzie Giguere for Where the Rotting Lemons Fall
- Adobe Award for Excellence in Title Design: Atreyu and Jonathan Hasenstab for Tebanasu, and Stephen Morand for Scripture & Scholarship
- Adobe Award for Excellence in Editing: Atreyu and Jonathan Hasenstab for Tebanasu, and Pablo Perez for En La Cuna De Mi Madre
- Adobe Award for Excellence in Sound Design: Elsa Ryder for Acceptance, and Gage Judd for Lucid Dreamers
More information on the films and the prizes | idiw.tftv.arizona.edu/2021-awards/
All photos by Julius Schlosburg.