Deborah Ruiz went to the Penland School of Craft to hone in on her typography skills, thanks to support from the College of Fine Arts Medici Circle donors.
Ruiz is a MFA candidate in the School of Art.
Medici Mondays: Deborah Ruiz
She spent her time at Penland, in the Blue Ridge Mountains in North Carolina, working closely with a designer and typographer, Rick Griffith. She wanted to try new ways of using typography to help her teach typography this fall.
Ruiz also wanted to create artwork that is separate from her thesis work.
“I didn’t expect to connect with other artists in this workshop who would share the same experiences with me. These new friendships add to how incredible an experience it was.”
She was able to attend an alien festival, met her favorite graphic designer, saw blue fireflies, and formed new friendships. On her last day, Ruiz donated four works of art to Penland’s charity auction. They each were sold and the money raised goes toward scholarships for students to attend the school.
“I’m deeply grateful to Patricia Morgan for her generous donation. Attending Penland felt like something out of reach, but her support made it a reality I never thought could happen.”
Thanks to donations made by the generous Medici Circle members, talented artist scholars like Deborah are awarded $1,000 to pursue an educational summer project beyond the classroom.
Previously on “Medici Mondays”…
- Adi Beckman … film & television … 10.23.23
- Nhan Ho … dance … 10.16.23
- Giovanni Accadia … music … 10.09.23
- Galen Dara Smith … art … 10.02.23
- Deborah Ruiz … art … 09.25.23
- Ivy Wahome … art … 09.18.23
- Sasha Reist … film, dance … 02.21.22
- Nadari Hockenhull … music … 02.14. 22
- Katie Baird … music … 02.07.22
- Hannah Hutchins … music … 01.31.22
- Gyselle Cuevas … film … 01.24.22
- David Baboila … art … 01.10.22